Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Thoughts on our weekend with host families

Weekends with the family are when the girls really get to practice their interpersonal Spanish skills.  Each family is different!  Each experience is different, but all of them are getting lots of practice and lots of love and care from the host families! 
-This week has been so much fun. I have learned so much about the Spanish culture and gotten more comfortable speaking the language, but most of all made connections with the amazing people here. I am so lucky that my host sister, Esperanza, and I get along so well. My host family are incredibly kind people and I´m glad I made the decision to come here. Things here can be very different - for example we eat at such different times! Sometimes we don´t even have dinner until maybe after 10. I also love the city of Madrid. There is so much to do, and the city has such an interesting history. I would love to live here one day, or at least study abroad in Madrid in the future. But my favorite thing about Madrid has to be the people. My family welcomed me into their home; everyone who I have met here has been so friendly and open and I am glad I have had the opportunity to learn more about their culture.


-This weekend, I spent a lot of time with my host sister. Friday night, we went to a Good Burger to celebrate the 18th birthday of one of Espe´s friends, Sofia. We even did the Spanish birthday tradition of pulling the ears (tirar de las orejas). On Saturday, we went to Segovia for my host mother´s concert (she sings in a choir). We looked around the town and saw the Roman aqueduct and the cathedral. The concert was really fun because the music was beautiful - they sang songs from the Sound of Music but in Spanish. On Sunday, we went shopping around the city of Madrid.



-This past weekend I had a lot of fun. On Saturday, we watched TV for a bit and later went shopping at Gran Via. I bought a pair of shorts at a store called Brownie. On Sunday we visited my host sister's grandma's house. I got to meet her two year old cousin Carmen, who's the cutest little thing! The highlight for me was trying Paella- the grandmother made a huge tray of it and it was delicious! Overall it was great and I had a lot of fun.




-This weekend was a great opportunity to spend time with my host family. We had a very busy weekend, which included a visit to the town Alcalá de Henares, my host brothers tennis match, and going to see a play. However, the highlight of the weekend was when my host family and I took a tour of the stadium Santiago Bernabeu, where Real Madrid (Madrid´s professional soccer team) plays. We got to see areas of the stadium which are normally off limits, like the player´s dressing rooms, the press room, and the trophy room. We saw the jerseys of some of the most famous players in the world, and the dozens of trophies the team has won. We even got to walk out on the field! It was a truly unforgettable experience, especially for a soccer fan like me.


-My highlights of this weekend were going to El Parque de El Retiro and seeing my host sister Laura's play "The Addams Family/La Familia Addams." On Saturday, I went to Retiro Park because a family friend of mine had written a book, and he was signing it at the book fair that is held at the park for a few weeks. Since this was the fair's last weekend, it was very crowded. There were at least 300 stands with books in Spanish, and I had a lot of fun walking around and finding some of my favorite books. The park was huge and beautiful, and I had a lot of fun. Then, on Sunday, we went to see Laura's play with my family and her uncle's family. The play was very professionally performed, and I had a lot of fun even if I couldn't understand every word. It was a really fun weekend, and I'm looking forward to another great week here!


-This weekend, my younger host sister had to study for a math exam, so my older sister and I went shopping.  We went to a bunch of stores, including El Corte Ingles.  I also watched some episodes of Castle in Spanish with my younger sister, which was really fun.


-My favorite part of my weekend was just spending time with my host sisters. I haven´t been able to spend much time with them, due to our busy schedule, but this weekend I got to spend a lot of time with them. I also cooked a meal for my family with my host sisters, which they really enjoyed.


-This weekend was very eventful and very fun. On Friday, my sister and I, along with her friend, went to the park near our house and afterwards we went to the Starbucks. While walking home, we met some of my sisters friends and they greeted me enigmatically. One Saturday, I went to my brother's soccer game and after I played a game called "padel" with my siblings. On Sunday, I went to another soccer game and watched my brother's team become champions.  After, we went out to eat. Over the course of the weekend, I mostly enjoyed playing padel and meeting my sister's friends.

-On Saturday I went on a bike ride with my host sister in the morning and then in the afternoon the family took me to a park in Madrid (similar to central park). After the park, we walked to my host mom´s sister´s house where we spent the rest of the afternoon and had dinner there as well. We watched High School Musical in Spanish which was really fun but also really funny because all of their voices sounded totally different. On Sunday my host sister took me to the palace in Boadilla (a suburb of Madrid). It was beautiful and really interesting because they are trying to restore it  so that people can go inside and go on tours. After visting the palace we went to the mall and I bought a few things at stores that we don´t have in the U.S. It was a very busy weekend! My favorite part was going to their cousins´ house because I got to meet more people and talk to others that I haven´t been seeing everyday.

-This weekend was very fun! On Friday, I got to meet many of my host oldest sister's friends on their last day of school. On Saturday we went to Victor's soccer games, which they won! Afterwards, we went back to the house to watch some Spanish TV, with Carmen, Marta and Víctor. It was interesting to see shows I normally watch at home with. The same characters, but with different Spanish voices. Afterwards, Carmen and I went out with her friends again to eat come typical Spanish food. We then came back home to play Wii, watch some TV and sleep. The next morning, after finally being able to sleep into 11:00,Carmen, two of her friends and I went to the last day of Feria del Libro (book fair), where I got to read some famous Spanish books and where we waited for two hours to get their book signed by their favorite author. Later while walking down the street with my host sister, Marta, we ran into one of the most famous teen actors in Spain. We had coincidentally seen him in a movie four days before! Overall, the weekend was very fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment